Miami Brow Lift Surgery
About Brow Lift Surgery
On many occasions, individuals make an appointment with Dr. Sam Gershenbaum at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami, FL., to discuss the possibility of correcting heavy-looking upper eyelids through plastic surgery: However, frequently, it is the drooping or sagging of the brow itself that causes the eyelids to appear heavy. This drooping brow also causes an individual to appear overly tired.
The Importance of Choosing an Experienced Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Miami
As an experienced plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. G knows that in some situations, performing an upper eyelid surgery alone will only exacerbate heavy looking upper eyelids. Frequently, an individual needs a forehead lift (brow lift) to correct this problem. Some patients choose to have a combination procedure (upper eyelid surgery and a forehead lift). Both of these procedures provide long-lasting results (approximately 10 years).
A Brow Lift in Miami
Individuals who have a pronounced descent of their eyebrows may benefit from a brow lift. A forehead lift is a plastic surgery procedure that Dr. Sam Gershenbaum regularly performs at his cosmetic surgery center in Miami. A brow lift is designed to return the brows to their original position. For a female, the ideal brow is gently curved with a slight arch above the superior orbital rim. For a male, the eyebrow should be straight and located just slightly above the superior orbital rim laterally.
Dysport® and BOTOX® Cosmetic Treatments Vs. a Brow Lift
One of the first parts of the face to begin showing signs of aging is the forehead. Initially, glabellar creases (vertical wrinkles) develop between the eyebrows, followed by horizontal wrinkles across the forehead.
At the onset of these forehead lines and wrinkles, neuromuscular paralyzing agents, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport® can be used; however, neither of these treatments is permanent. Furthermore, these paralyzing agents cannot address the wrinkling that occurs over the bridge of the nose. Additionally, as an individual continues to age, the brow itself begins to descend.
When the descent is mild, Dysport® and BOTOX® Cosmetic can be used to treat forehead wrinkling and lift the eyebrow; however, these products are just a temporary fix. At some point, the results achieved with Botox may become difficult to see: This is when a brow lift should be considered.
What Causes the Forehead to Show Signs of Aging?
Gravity, the continuous use of the forehead muscles, smoking, genetic influences, sun exposure, fluctuations in weight and loss of skin, and muscle tone all contribute to the changes in the elevation of the brow.
Who Should Consider a Brow Lift at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery in Miami?
Men and women who notice that they appear tired, older and/or sullen may want to consider a brow lift. Forehead lift candidates must have realistic expectations, be physically healthy and wish to improve the appearance of their forehead.
Issues that a brow lift can address include:
- Forehead wrinkles
- Frown lines
- Furrowed or bunched skin above the nose
- Low-hanging eyebrows that need an arch
- Sagging brows that encroach upon the upper eyelid
- Asymmetrical eyebrows
- Any other type of eyebrow abnormality
How Old Are Most People Who Choose to Have a Brow Lift?
The majority of Dr. Gershenbaum’s patients in Miami choose to have a brow lift once they reach their late 40s. Ultimately, the goal of a forehead lift is to elevate the brows back to their natural position and smooth the lines in the forehead. While no procedure can ‘stop the clock,’ altogether, there are many cosmetic procedures and plastic surgeries that can ‘turn back the hands of time’ to provide individuals with a more youthful appearance.
Does Insurance Cover Brow Lift Surgery in Miami?
In the event that the drooping of the eyebrows is so severe that excess skin accumulates over the eyelashes and obscures vision, a patient’s insurance may reimburse him or her for a portion of the cost of a forehead lift.
An Initial Consultation at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami
- During an initial consultation for a brow lift, Dr. Gershenbaum will want to know about all previous procedures, surgeries and/or treatments the patient has had.
- Dr. G will want to know what the patient would like to accomplish with a brow lift.
- He will also ask whether or not the patient smokes, drinks alcoholic beverages and/or participates in recreational drug use.
- The patient should bring a list of the medications he or she takes on a regular basis (dosage and frequency) as well as a list of any herbal supplements and/or vitamins taken regularly. Providing Dr. Gershenbaum with accurate information related to the use of these products is extremely important because smoking, drinking alcohol as well as taking certain drugs, medications, vitamins and herbal supplements can increase the likelihood of excess bleeding, and bruising.
- Dr. Gershenbaum will examine the patient’s face and determine the quality of his or her skin. If Dr. G determines that he can help the patient achieve his or her goal, he will discuss the procedure(s) that he recommends.
- Patients are encouraged to ask questions during their initial consultation at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami with Dr. Gershenbaum.
Types of Brow Lift Procedures Available at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami
Dr. G performs several types of forehead lifts for his patients in Miami. He performs the open approach brow lift (‘classical’) or the endoscopic (‘minimal’) brow lift. As each patient is unique, the surgical method that Dr. Gershenbaum uses depends solely on the patient’s personal requirements.
Classical Brow Lift Surgery
A classical brow lift raises the eyebrows, reduces the heaviness and/or folds surrounding the upper eyelids as well as diminishes the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
When performing the classical forehead lift, Dr. G creates a single incision well behind the patient’s hairline (to ensure the resulting scar remains hidden). This incision extends from one temple to the other and usually connects with the ‘standard’ facelift incision on either side of the temporal scalp, directly above the ear.
If an individual already has a high forehead or hairline, to avoid raising the hairline any further, Dr. Gershenbaum can make the incision along the anterior hairline. When creating this incision, Dr. G uses a technique that allows the hair to grow directly through the resulting scar. Thus, concealing the scar even further. In select cases, Dr. Gershenbaum may choose to perform a lateral brow lift. This procedure is used solely to elevate the outside portion of the patient’s eyebrow.
A Classical Forehead Lift – The Results
The goal of a classical forehead lift is to return the brow line, and forehead to their natural position. Once the forehead lift is complete, patients have:
- A smoother forehead
- More symmetrical eyebrows
- An enhanced eyebrow arch
- Accentuated eyes and an upper eyelid that is no longer encroached upon
- A rejuvenated appearance
- Long-lasting results with well hidden, minimal scarring
Generally, a brow lift turns the clock back approximately 10 years. The results of a brow lift typically last about 10 years as well.
Minimal Brow Lift
This surgery is performed through four ½-inch incisions that are created directly behind the patient’s hairline. During this procedure, Dr. G uses a fiber optic camera and instruments specifically designed for use during this procedure.
Advantages of a Minimal Lift
This procedure results in smaller incisions than are used with the open approach lift. Furthermore, Dr. Gershenbaum can modify the placement of the incisions for balding patients who want to have a brow lift.
The Results of a Minimal Forehead Lift
Once the minimal brow lift is complete, the horizontal lines on the forehead are improved. However, the results attained with this endoscopic procedure are not as noticeable as the results achieved via an open approach surgery.
Preparing for a Brow Lift with Dr. Gershenbaum in Miami
- Prior to their brow lift, the majority of patients will be required to visit their primary care physician for a physical. Furthermore, laboratory tests may be ordered and patients who are on anticoagulants may need to consult with their hematologist prior to their forehead lift.
- Patients should purchase frozen peas and Ziploc bags to use as cold compresses following surgery, and extra pillows so they can keep their head elevated.
- Patients who smoke must discontinue smoking for a specific length of time before and after their forehead lift (typically four weeks before and four weeks after). This is very important because individuals who smoke have an increased risk of experiencing skin complications in the areas addressed during the procedure; in addition, smoking delays the healing process. In addition, to prevent swelling, alcoholic beverages need to be avoided for at least five days prior to surgery.
- Prior to surgery, patients need to stop taking certain medications, vitamins and herbal supplements for at least two weeks before their brow lift. To see a list of the products that need to be avoided, click here.
- Although eyebrow surgery is a simple procedure, patients should ask someone they trust to remain with them on the day of their procedure (if possible, overnight), just in case they need some extra support.
What to Expect During Surgery
At Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami, brow lifts are performed as an outpatient procedure. Regardless of the method used, a properly executed forehead lift should provide the patient with a natural-looking result, as opposed to an unnatural looking hairline or a constant ‘surprised’ look on his or her face.
- Patients do receive anesthesia during their procedure. Therefore, on the day of surgery patients need to bring a driver with them. Patients receive either local anesthesia with IV sedation or general anesthesia. A brow lift can take from one to two hours: However, if the patient is also having eyelid surgery, the procedure will last another one to two hours.
- Once the minimal or classical lift is complete, Dr. Gershenbaum will use stitches to close the incision(s). Directly following surgery, patients receive a padded cotton head dressing. This dressing will remain in place for one or two days.
- Patients should expect to have varying degrees of bruising and swelling, which will be evident around the eyelids, forehead and down to the cheeks.
- Patients do not usually experience a lot of pain following surgery; however, Dr. G informs his patients which pain medications they can take.
- The majority of Dr. G’s patients return to work within a week of their forehead lift.
- For some time, patients may experience tingling, itching and numbness. These symptoms will diminish as the incisions heal.
- Patients must avoid any type of strenuous activity for six to eight weeks following their brow lift with Dr. Gershenbaum in Miami.
How to Reduce Swelling
Patients can reduce the amount of swelling they experience by keeping their head elevated on two pillows and by using cold compresses. For the first 48 hours following surgery, Dr. G recommends placing cold compresses on the eyes for approximately 10 minutes every hour (while the patient is awake). Typically, it takes between one to two weeks for the majority of the swelling and bruising to resolve.
The night following surgery, the patient needs to relax. For the initial 18 hours following surgery, patients may want to remain on a liquid diet. This tends to help prevent vomiting due to the anesthesia.
Removing the Stitches
Stitches will be removed within one to two weeks following surgery. Patients who also had eyelid surgery will have the eyelid stitches removed at some point between five to seven days. Once the sutures are removed, patients can usually take a shower and wash their hair.
Dr. Sam Gershenbaum’s skills, experience and caring demeanor have made him one of the premier plastic and reconstructive surgeons in South Florida. If you are interested in learning more about the various procedures available at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami, please contact our office today at (305) 933-1838. You can also contact us via our online contact form by clicking here.
Brow Lift / Forehead Lift in Miami, Florida
Brow Lift Techniques
Miami brow lift surgeon, Dr. Sam Gershenbaum, provides expertise in creating the youthful, more awake appearance that brow lift surgery offers. The contour and position of the skin, fat, muscles, and brow around the eyes is largely responsible for facial expression. Wrinkles and lines often first appear in the brow and forehead area along low positioned eyebrows and heavy lids, which all become more prominent as time goes on. Sun exposure, genetic influences, weight fluctuations, and smoking can be contributing factors that together produce a tired, older, and even sometimes a scowling appearance.
A Brow lift (also called a forehead lift) can smooth out the lines and wrinkles and correct drooping brows and heavy eyelids to provide a younger, friendlier and more rested appearance.
Frequently, patients will present for surgical correction of upper eyelids when in fact it is the sagging or drooping of the brow that causes an overly tired appearance and “hooding,” or heaviness, of the eyelids. In some cases, upper eyelid surgery alone can make this appearance worse.
About the Brow Lift Procedure
At our Miami center, brow lift surgery may be performed by either the “classical,” or open approach, or by the endoscopic “minimal” scar method depending on each individual’s personal requirements. Each brow lift patient has individual requirements, and a complete consultation and examination is needed to determine which surgical procedure, or combination of procedures, is required to obtain the desired results.
The “classical” or open brow lift approach is performed through an incision over the top of the head extending from one temple area to the other and well behind the hairline in order to hide the scar. This type of brow lift incision generally connects with the “standard” type facelift incision on each side of the temporal scalp above each ear.
This procedure will raise the eyebrows, minimize the presence of lines and wrinkles, and reduce the folds and/or heaviness above and around the upper eyelids.
With a classical brow lift, the forehead will become somewhat higher, and the hairline will move up to some degree. In certain cases, where it is not desirable to raise the hairline any further (i.e. in an already high forehead/hairline), the incision can be made along the anterior hairline. This incision can be made in such a way as to allow hair to grow directly through the scar for further concealing. In selected cases, a lateral brow lift may be performed which elevates only the outside portion of the eyebrow.
The lateral brow lift places the incisions predominantly in the temporal scalp areas and not across the top of the head.
Miami brow lift surgeon Dr. Sam Gershenbaum performs the latest endoscopic or “minimal” scar brow lift, which is performed through four one-half inch incisions placed just behind the hairline. With the aid of a fiber optic camera and specialized instruments, mini-scar brow lift is performed while viewed on a TV monitor. Generally, small incisions are placed just behind the temporal hairline and frontal hairline in-line with each eye. Through these small incisions, the procedure is completed much as described for the open brow lift procedure. However, there is no continuous scar and scalp excision across the top of the head.
An endoscopic brow lift will generally improve horizontal forehead lines, but not as noticeably as an open approach. Advantages of Endoscopic brow lift are smaller incisions and scars, and less potential for hair loss and numbness. Modified placement of incisions can be made for balding patients who require a brow lift procedure.
Regardless of which technique is used, a proper brow lift should produce a natural appearing result and not a “surprised” look or unnatural hairline.
Brow lift is performed at our Miami outpatient surgical facility. It can be performed using local anesthesia with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Procedure time for a brow lift ranges from one to two hours with an additional one to two hours if eyelid surgery is performed.
Generally, a padded cotton head dressing is applied for one to two days. Varying degrees of swelling and bruising will occur around the forehead and eyelids, and may extend down to the cheek area. It generally takes one to two weeks for most of the bruising and swelling to resolve. Itching, tingling, and numbness will diminish over time as the incisions heal. Sutures (stitches) are removed between one and two weeks (five to seven days for eyelids). Cold compresses and head elevation will reduce bruising and swelling. Patients do not generally complain of pain after brow lift surgery. Any discomfort is easily controlled with medication. Strenuous activity should be avoided for six to eight weeks.