Ear Pinning Surgery (Otoplasty)
Cosmetic Otoplasty (ear pinning or shaping) is a surgical procedure that is designed to correct deformed or protruding ears. On many occasions, parents decide to have their child’s ears corrected during their youth (generally between the ages of 4 and 14). By correcting oversized or misshapen ears while a child is young, ridicule during adolescence can be avoided.
What Can Cosmetic Otoplasty Accomplish?
Cosmetic Otoplasty can be used to improve the proportion, shape or position of an individual’s ear. Dr. Sam Gershenbaum frequently uses this procedure to correct defects in the structure of the ear that are present at birth and become more apparent as time passes.
One of the most common forms of Cosmetic Otoplasty that Dr. G performs is ear pinning surgery. An ear pinning surgery can be used to bring balance and proportion to an individual’s face and ears. Dr. Gershenbaum performs Cosmetic Otoplasty procedures at his surgery center in Miami for children, adolescents and adults. Following Cosmetic Otoplasty, the majority of Dr. G’s patients state that their improved appearance has increased their self-esteem.
Who Should Consider Cosmetic Otoplasty?
Individuals who have:
- Protruding ears on one or both sides (not associated with loss of hearing)
- The condition macrotia (overlay large ears)
- Already had an Otoplasty procedure, but are not satisfied with the results
Who is a Good Candidate for Cosmetic Otoplasty with Dr. Gershenbaum in Miami?
Dr. G performs ear pinning surgery on children (beginning at age 4), adolescents and adults.
Children are good candidates for a Cosmetic Otoplasty if they are:
- 4 to 5 years old (or at the point when the child’s ear cartilage becomes stable)
- Healthy and do not have untreated, chronic ear infections or a life-threatening illness
- Able to follow directions
- Capable of communicating their feelings (do not object to having ear pinning surgery when it is mentioned)
Adolescents and adults in Miami are good candidates for ear pinning surgery if they:
- Are nonsmokers
- Do not have any medical condition that could impair their ability to heal
- Are healthy and have a positive outlook with specific goals in mind (related to their Cosmetic Otoplasty
As with all cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures, ear pinning is highly-individualized. Therefore, an individual should only have Cosmetic Otoplasty as a means to please himself or herself: And not at the urging of another to fulfill his or her specific desires or to try and fit into some kind of ideal image.
Cosmetic Otoplasty – An Initial Consultation with Dr. G in Miami
The safety and success of an individual’s ear pinning procedure relies heavily on his or her complete candor during the Cosmetic Otoplasty initial consultation with Dr. Gershenbaum at his surgery center in Miami. Individuals will be asked numerous questions related to their health, lifestyle and aesthetic desires.
Therefore, individuals should be prepared to discuss:
- Why he or she would like to have a Cosmetic Otoplasty procedure
- His or her expectations as well as desired surgical outcome
- Allergies to medications and/or latex
- Medical conditions
- Previous surgical procedures
- Current medications, herbal supplements and vitamins
- Use of tobacco, alcohol and/or recreational drugs
- Current and/or past medical treatments
During the initial consultation, Dr. G may:
- Take photos to place in his or her medical record (for reference and/or comparison purposes)
- Evaluate his or her general health
- Address pre-existing conditions, risk factors and/or potential complications
- Make recommendations and discuss his or her plastic and reconstructive surgery options
- Discuss the outcome he expects for the individual after his or her ear pinning surgery
Individuals are encouraged to ask questions during their initial consultation with Dr. G at his surgery center in Miami. Feeling a bit of anxiety concerning any surgical procedure is natural. Some of the nervousness an individual experiences may be related to anticipation of his or her expected new look. Dr. Gershenbaum and his staff are happy to discuss these feelings with their patients. The entire staff at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami is dedicated to helping patients by answering their questions so they feel comfortable and informed about their upcoming surgery.
Preparing for a Cosmetic Otoplasty Procedure in Miami
Prior to an ear pinning surgery, Dr. G usually asks his patients to:
- Visit their physician to receive a medical release for surgery.
- Have certain lab tests performed.
- Discontinue eating certain foods as well as adjust or discontinue the use of certain medications, herbal supplements and/or vitamins for at least 2 weeks before, and 2 weeks after their ear pinning surgery. This is a very important pre-surgical step because certain medications, foods, herbal products and vitamins are known to increase the incidence of bleeding. Dr. Gershenbaum provides a list of these products: To view this list, please click here.
- Stop smoking and avoid second-hand smoke for at least 4 weeks before, and 4 weeks after Cosmetic Otoplasty. This is another essential pre-surgical step in that the chemicals in tobacco inhibit the body’s ability to heal itself.
Ear Pinning with Dr. G at His Surgery Center in Miami – The Procedure
Dr. Gershenbaum frequently performs Cosmetic Otoplasty at his surgery center in Miami. Cosmetic Otoplasty procedures usually take from one to two hours. At Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center, ear pinning is an outpatient procedure. Patients do receive anesthesia; therefore, on the day of surgery patients need to bring a licensed driver with them to the surgery center. Furthermore, Dr. Gershenbaum recommends that his Cosmetic Otoplasty patients ask someone they trust to stay with them the night following their ear pinning procedure at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami.
Prior to any procedure that involves the use of anesthesia, Dr. G discusses the medication choices with the patient. He will recommend which type of medication he feels will serve the patient best. Choices include general anesthesia (the patient is fully asleep throughout the procedure) or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation (the patient is in a ‘twilight’ state and a numbing medication is used to block the nerves that are linked to the site being treated.).
2. Creating the Incision
To correct protruding ears, Dr. Gershenbaum uses surgical techniques to increase or create the fold just inside the rim of the patient’s ear (antihelical fold) and reduce the deepest and largest concavity of the patient’s external ear (conchal cartilage).
The incisions used for ear pinning are typically made on the back portion of the patient’s ear. If incisions need to be made on the front of the ear, these incisions are created within the natural folds of the patient’s ear: Therefore, they will remain well hidden.
3. Closing the Incisions
At Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami, the incisions are closed using internal, non-removable sutures. These sutures create and then secure the ear’s newly shaped cartilage.
It is important to note that an inexperienced surgeon in Miami may attempt to correct the position of the ears by removing excess skin, this technique creates an unnatural connection between the ears and the scalp. Therefore, to ensure a natural-looking result, choosing an experienced, board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon to perform a Cosmetic Otoplasty is essential.
4. Placing the Headband
Directly following surgery at Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center in Miami, Cosmetic Otoplasty patients receive a protective headband. This headband must be worn for no less than 2 weeks following surgery.
What to Expect While Recovering from Ear Pinning Surgery
Patients should expect to experience some discomfort directly after their surgery; however, Dr. Gershenbaum prescribes his patients mild pain medication to ensure they remain as comfortable as possible while they heal. Patients may also experience some itching beneath their bandages/headband. This is a natural symptom of the healing process.
Keeping the bandages/headband in place for at least the first 2 weeks is essential, as a failure to do so could result in the loss of some of the correction achieved during the Cosmetic Otoplasty procedure, thus, requiring another surgery.
Patients can usually return to the majority of their physical activities within just a few weeks.
Following Cosmetic Otoplasty for protruding ears, results can be fully appreciated once the dressings/headband supporting the new shape of the ears are removed. Since the ear is now permanently positioned closer to the patient’s head, the surgical scars are either well-hidden behind the ear or, in the event of incisions in the front of the ear, camouflaged within its natural creases.
Dr. Sam Gershenbaum is considered one of the top plastic and reconstructive surgeons in South Florida. Individuals from around the world visit Miami seeking his assistance in attaining the aesthetic appearance they have always wanted. If you reside in South Florida, and you are looking for an experienced, board-certified, plastic and reconstructive surgeon to perform your ear surgery, contact Dr. G Cosmetic Surgery Center today at 305.933.1838 or you can use our online contact form by clicking here.